Barista job description
In a cafe environment - from small independents up to larger chains, Baristas are in charge of all things coffee. Some Baristas are experts ‘from bean to cup’, with a great depth of knowledge about coffee. A passion for coffee in all its forms is therefore a must, as well as a friendly, professional manner, and excellent customer service skills to serve customers food and beverage products.
Key skills and qualifications
- Confident, friendly and outgoing approach when serving customers.
- Coffee knowledge
- Evidence of an interest and passion for coffee, from bean to cup.
- Customer centric
- Focussed on providing customers with an excellent experience.
- Works well under pressure
- Able to be patient and provide customers with top customer service even when the cafe is busy.
- Attention to detail
- Able to perform tasks to a high standard at all times, double-checking that tasks are done correctly.
- Undertaking more than one task at once, for example taking orders, making coffee and using the cash till.
- Latte art
- The ability to create artistic patterns/images in the top of customers’ beverages using steamed milk.
- Team player
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of staff and managers.
- Time management
- Prompt to arrive at work and able to serve customers in a timely fashion.
Baristas key responsibilities
- Preparing hot and cold beverages
- Providing customers with details about food and beverage
- Processing customer payments
- Cleaning work areas and equipment
- Serving customers and clearing tables
- Opening/closing shop
- Stock-taking and ordering
What can Baristas earn?
- Wage per hour: £7.50 - £9.50
- Wage per annum: £16,000 - £20,000
What experience is required to be a Barista?
None - Moderate (1 year)
Opportunities for career progression
Depending on performance, Baristas are often promoted to more senior roles such as Head Barista, Front of House Supervisor or other cafe management positions. Promotional opportunities often arise after 1-2 years in this role.